Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Moving on- April 30, 2007

I decided at the beginning of April that I am going to quit my job. This is a long time coming, since about the third month that I have been teaching. This should finish up my fifth year teaching in the South Bronx. I had a friend once tell me that if you do this job for a certain amount of time, you get to go to heaven for free. I wonder if that will still be the case if I go on some rape and murder spree; will I be able to tell God that I am sorry for the raping and murdering, but that I taught in this hell hole for five years, so that should balance things out, right? Another friend who had the good sense to quit after two years told me that he was in Vietnam during the war, and that wasn’t as bad as teaching here.

One benefit that five years teaching experience in hell gives you, though, is that I could probably go and get another job teaching in some other place (hopefully it would not be just a different department of hell, as it was here). So, taking advantage of this benefit, I decided to apply to teach at a school in Japan. That means that I would pack up the few things that I think I need, throw them in a backpack, leave New York, settle in Tokyo (hopefully), and try to become Japanese (probably not). We’ll see what happens.

No comments: