Friday, November 23, 2007

To the airport

When we finally got to the bottom of the hill again, we asked the taxi driver to take us to the zoo. However, I asked one more time how much this would cost. He finally gave an outrageous price. His excuse was that he had waited for over two hours for us while we were hiking. I felt cheated, and it seemed to me like all the mistrust that I had for the taxi drivers and vendors finally had concrete reason. In all fairness, he did wait for a long time, and since there were no other taxis, we needed him to do that. What bothered me, though, was that when I had asked him before, he didn’t tell me, and so I felt like he was dishonest. Rather than go to the zoo, I told him to just take us straight to the airport, since we didn’t want to spend more money for him to wait at the zoo for us. After arguing about the fare, I just accepted that we would have to pay it, since I didn’t trust that, if we had just left without paying, the police would be on our side in this seemingly corrupt country.

However, before taking us to the airport, he took us back to our resort that we had already checked out of. I had suspected that he didn’t understand before we set out, and now here we were. When we arrived at the hotel, I redirected him to the airport. We finally got there, and stayed at the airport for a few hours rather than get swindled out of more money.

No comments: