Friday, September 14, 2007

Daylight savings time

One thing that I never thought I would defend is daylight savings time. I have always thought it was the stupidest thing that seemed to have no benefit at all. However, I think that I have been converted.

I woke up for the first time this morning after the sun had already risen. The last two days, I woke up around 4am, probably because my body is getting used to the time change. Today, there was sunlight when I woke up. It looked like the sun was up, and the morning was bright. It was 5:30am. I remember yesterday, walking out of Ikebukuro station at 9am, and remarking to Paola about how high in the sky the sun was for 9am. It looked to me like it was noon! Throughout the day, we kept thinking that it was so much later than it was.

The heart of summer has barely passed, and at 6:30 at night, the sky is pitch black. I remember that is exactly what time it was when we left the airport, and rode the bus to our home, and the sky was as dark as can be.

Now, perhaps I am someone who likes the sunlight and the daytime too much because I definitely think that some sort of daylight savings time should be put into effect here so that there is more sunlight during our waking lives. I suppose that the folks here in Japan are used to it, though, and might even like it. There were many more people out on the street and around Shibuya station last night after dark (oh yeah, it was Friday night, though). We can still party all night if we get just a little more daylight during the afternoon.

No comments: