Friday, September 14, 2007

Sightseeing in Tokyo - September 14, 2007

We decided that we would go into Tokyo today, and see what we could. We used a travel book as a guide of sorts, but it only really served for the maps. The book that we had divided Tokyo into several different sections. We started with Ikebukuro because the train from our home ends there. We then walked down to Shijuku, and finally to Shibuya. Because today was such a full day in which we were on our feet from 8am to 8pm, I will write several of the interesting details later.

However, there were some important things that I learned. The first is that Nobody, even in the city of Tokyo (as opposed to the suburbs where we live) really speaks English at all. The other important lesson learned was how to ride the subway, which has been called the most efficient transit system in the world, is not the easiest to learn, especially since there are several different companies that run different lines. I also learned that while commuting might be cheaper than driving, it does not mean that it is cheap. All that said, I am not quite sure if the Tokyo system is the most efficient. The third thing that I learned is that fashion is very important to a lot of people. Lastly, taking a shower with cold water is not pleasant.

I will try to elaborate on all of that after I have had adequate sleep.

No comments: