Thursday, October 25, 2007

Ginza Apple Store – October 19, 2007


My ipod died. This is a big deal to me for a couple of reasons. First, I use my ipod everyday to listen to music on the train, and walking around. Second, I just bought the stupid thing in July, right before I left New York. It has a one year warranty, so I knew that anything that was wrong with it would be taken care of. Also, I still have my old ipod with most of the same music on it, so I would still have an ipod to keep me company. The only music that I do not have a copy of is a series of about 15 cds of Bach’s holy cantatas, which I didn’t really listen to that much anyway, and a new cd by Argentine composer Osvaldo Golijov called ‘Oceanna,’ which I really like; in fact, he is probably my favorite living composer, so although the cd is waiting for me in America, I will probably buy another copy of it here.

I am also upset because for a short while, I was on the Apple bandwagon. I have long since jumped off when my first Mac laptop broke. I realized that there is nothing special about Apple computers, and that they have all the same problems as Windows machines; obviously that even holds for their stupid ipods. That said, I will still use my Mac, and will probably even buy another Mac when this one breaks. That is because I am chosing between two shitty products, Windows or Apple. I suppose that I believe that Apple is merely a bit better, but I cannot claim that it is a lot better.

In any case, the problem was that after I charged my ipod, the charge would not hold, and the battery would die. I took it in, and they said that if they could fix it, they would, and if not, they would simply give me another ipod. In either case, I will have to reload all of the music and movies onto the machine all over again, and that takes a few hours. Pain in the ass.

No comments: