Monday, October 29, 2007

Ryozen Kannon

Ryozen Kannon Buddha 1
Ryozen Kannon Buddha 2
I looked at our book, and realized that yesterday we had missed the Ryozen Kannon. Inside the grounds there is a large sculpture of a Buddha that is about 30 meters tall. I am sure that it is not the largest Buddha in the world, but it was the largest Buddha I had ever seen.

Unfortunately, by the time we got there, the place was closed. However, it was east to see the Buddha over the short walls of the grounds. Actually, it may have been better to see it from this far away, because if I were up close, I wouldn’t be able to allow the whole sight to be absorbed (at least that’s what I am telling myself since I didn’t have the choice to see it up close). In any case, it was quite a sight to see, and the low sun of the late afternoon lit it perfectly.

No comments: