Monday, October 29, 2007

Ryoanji Temple

Ryoanji Rock Garden
Buddha at Ryoanji
Shrine gate
It was said that Ryoanji Temple has a nice rock garden, and so that is why we wanted to come here. There are 15 large rocks that are masterly placed throughout the rock garden, and so it is beautiful, or so they say. I was rather disappointed by the rock garden. I guess that it was neat in some mystical sense, and I am sure that the Buddhist monks who first arranged the fifteen large rocks such knew something about feng-shui or something like that, but it didn’t appeal much to me. Perhaps I was a bit tired after three days of temples, shrines, and rock gardens. Another things that made this particular site less pleasant was all of the other people around. The whole area where people were allowed to sit and take pictures was crowded, and with everyone snapping away at their cameras (myself included) it didn’t seem that special.

No comments: