Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Going out – October 7, 2007




Like usual, we went to work today. Paola told me that a girl at her work, Cheryl, was going to be celebrating her birthday at a local bar called Watami. This was in Kawagoe, where Paola works, so I had to go home, change, and then meet everyone there at 7, while I got home around 6. Perhaps since I got off of work earlier, I should have been able to be there before everyone else. Instead, I got there late, and about 15 people had already filled the table. I told a friend, Tony, to scoot over, and he did, so even though there wasn’t any room, we made room. I was surprised to see so many familiar faces around the table, but I suppose that since Kawagoe is a pretty large branch, that a lot of people do work there.

After drinking for a few hours, everyone emptied out onto the street. It was cool because in Japan, you are allowed to drink in public. We camped out in front of the 7-11, where some people had already begun drinking (they left Watami earlier because they knew they could get cheaper beers at 7-11). By about 11 o’clock, a bunch of us had taken over the streets, and, being drunk, were hassling the locals. One guy, Darren, took a liking to me, and insisted that Paola and I could sleep at his place, instead of catching the last train in at 11:45. Being drunk, we decided to stay in Kawagoe, and went out for Karaoke.

I have been to Karaoke before in America. It didn’t appeal to me in America, and it doesn’t appeal to me in Japan, either. We decided to go home after a little while, meaning that we would have to pay about 4,000 yen (about 40 dollars) for a cab ride home. We split it with a guy who happened to live in the very next building to us named Andrew.

All in all, it was cool to meet people and hang out, even if we didn’t like Karaoke.

No comments: